I know everyone’s been a bit antsy to get going on the new world (or at least to know what we’re going to do), so here’s a quick rundown of what’s going on:
- Map: The new world will use a custom generator (still similar to vanilla) and have a size of 8 km by 8 km. If we do start running out of space, expansion is always an option. For those who are wondering, the map we’re using now will be available for download; for those of you who wanted a new world in addition to the old, just know that it would be impossible to add another world of any significant size with our current map as large as it is.
- Spawn: We’re looking for designs for a new spawn at the moment, so if you had a suggestion, post some screenshots over in the discussion thread. The idea is to have something that would be much more informative than the current one while still integrating or at least not ignoring any nearby (but not super close) town(s).
- PVP: There will be a new PVP zone or zones included as part of the normal map. However, there aren’t any concrete plans on how it will be done yet; options include large PVP zones in one or all corners of the map or perhaps neofreak’s concentric ring idea. Either way, the PVP areas will be cleary marked as such to avoid confusion.
- Anti-Grief: While our current setup does work, it’s very staff-intesive; every time someone griefs, a Mod or Admin has to step in and roll things back while making sure to talk to the person or persons involved. The new system (using Grief Prevention) should be much more preventive instead of reactive while allowing players to self-manage for the most part.
- Community: We’ll be adding in a few competition-centered plugins; some options include Minigames, MobArena, MonsterHunt, and BattleArena and its associated plugins. Suggestions are very welcome here!
- Other Notes:
- As previously stated, starter kits will be added for new players—probably just a wooden sword, pick, and shovel.
MagicCarpet will be replaced with the /fly command if issues with speed can be worked out.As Jeez pointed out, /fly could cause some major issues, so we’ll stick with MC for now.
- Inventories and builds will not be moved from the old world to the new.
- No, we’re not getting McMMO/iConomy/whatever.
Because of some pretty drastic changes in the new CraftBukkit beta, this work won’t be done until New Year’s Day—January 1st. There, finally set a deadline. Anyway, I’ll see you online!